Welcome to the MOVIES3D wiki.
MOVIES3D is a software designed by Ifremer to display and process underwater active acoustic data produced by sonars and echosounders.
MOVIES3D only supports the ICES HAC Standard Data Exchange Format. It can handle data produced by multifrequency, broadband and multibeam active sonars and echosounders. This page shows how to convert Simrad .raw data format into HAC format.
MOVIES3D is built around a collection of C++ libraries (or modules) that can be called within:
- a graphical user interface (GUI) that can be used for real time display or to replay .hac files;
- programming environments including Python and Matlab.
MOVIES3D modules are available to perform the following tasks:
- 2D and 3D acoustic data display in the GUI. Movies3D offers an original, more realistic 3-dimensional data display. Contrary to classical 2-dimensional echograms, MOVIES3D represents acoustic samples as voxels located at their exact geographical position, with volumes proportional to the actual sampling volumes.
- Echo-integration of multifrequency, broadband and multibeam echosounders data.
- Manual scrutinising of 2D and 3D narrowband data.
- Acoustic school extraction from 2D and 3D narrowband data.
- Target Strength detection on 2D and 3D narrowband and broadband data.
- Spectral analysis of broadband data.
- Seabed detection.
- In situ noise level real time display.
All modules have been optimised for running in real time in the MOVIES3D GUI.
Where to begin?
To download MOVIES3D, go to the Official download page. MOVIES3D is only available for Windows operating systems.
For questions about installation or how to use MOVIES3D APIs with programming languages, have a look at the Support section.
A multifrequency .hac example dataset can be downloaded here.
If you want to contribute codes, please send an email to laurent.berger[at]ifremer.
MOVIES3D is a freeware provided by Ifremer under an GNU GPL OPen Source licence.
Check your results carefully, and report any bug/problems. Comments, complaints or praises can be directed at/to firstname.lastname@example.org
Useful links :
- Movies3D official download page
- The Fisheries Acoustics Science and Technology working group of the International Council for the Exploration of the Sea